Nowadays, casting or mirroring various devices to a smart TV has become relatively common. However, with the increase in the number of manufacturers, compatibility issues arise.
An example of this would be Amazon’s Firestick, which doesn’t easily sync with other devices right out of the box. This article shows you how to mirror Android, iOS, Mac, Windows and Chromebook to a Firestick and stream from these devices.
1. Create initial wireless settings
Before you begin, make sure your Amazon Firestick is connecting to the same Wi-Fi network as the device you want to mirror. Note that devices that only operate on 2.4 GHz may not work or connect using a 5 GHz network, so make sure both devices reside on the same band. To check the network name, do the following:
- From the “Home” page of your Fire TV Stick, navigate to “Settings” in the top menu.
- Now scroll down and select “Network”.
- A list of available Wi-Fi connections will be displayed. The one marked as “Connected” should be the same as the device you are trying to mirror to your Firestick. Remember that some Wi-Fi connections have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
Again, make sure the devices connect to the same band (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz). Once you have completed the above steps, follow the instructions below depending on the device you want to mirror to Chrome.
2. Configure mirroring on the source device
How to Mirror Android to an Amazon Firestick
Using an Android device to mirror or cast to a Firestick is a relatively simple process, especially now that Amazon has loosened its restrictions on Chromecast for its products. To do so, follow these steps:
- On your Fire TV remote, press and hold the “Home” button until the menu appears, then select “Settings.”
- netsh wlan show drivers
- Now, in the “Settings” menu, select “Display and sounds”.
- Then choose “Enable display mirroring”.
- A screen appears showing the status of the wireless mirror and the device receiving the mirror display. Leave your Fire TV on this screen so your device can connect to it. Remember the name of the Fire TV Stick.
- Swipe down on your Android device and tap the “Screen Cast” or “Cast” icon in the “Quick Settings” menu. If not present, go to “Settings” to find and select “Wireless & Bluetooth Connections” or “Wireless Projection”. On Android 11 or newer, go to “Connection Devices -> Connection Preferences -> Cast”.
- A “Searching for devices…” message appears.
- Find the name of your Fire TV and tap on it.
- Your Fire TV should mirror your phone screen after a few seconds. If you want to cast videos from your Android to Fire TV, tap cast to do it automatically.
How to Mirror Windows 10 to an Amazon Firestick
Windows 10 has Miracast enabled by default. This feature is essential because it is what connects to the Fire TV. The steps are quite similar to casting an Android device when it comes to Fire TV settings, but with a few differences.
- Switch to “Display mirroring screen” on your Firestick. Remember the name of your Fire TV.
- Click on the “Notifications” icon in Windows 10, located in the lower right section of the taskbar.
- Click “Expand”.
- Now select “Project” and then choose your preferred display option. You can modify it at any time according to your needs.
- Click on “Connect to a wireless display”.
- Select the name of your Fire TV to begin mirroring. If the name is not listed, click “Search for other device types”. If you still can’t find your Fire TV, check if you’re connected to the same network (SSID name) and same band (2.5 GHz or 5 GHz).
- Your PC screen should now appear on your TV using the Firestick.
How to Mirror iPhone to Amazon Firestick
Using the Firestick on iOS devices like iPhone isn’t as easy as using it on Android, but it’s still possible with a few extra steps. The Firestick and iOS will not connect from the start like Android. For that, proceed as following :
- On your Fire TV, navigate to the “search icon”, located in the leftmost area of the menu.
- Next, search for “Airscreen” and then choose “Airscreen” from the search results.
- Select “Get” on the app page to install it. This is a free application that will allow your iPhone to connect to your Firestick TV. If you want to learn more about the app before installing it, head over to the Airscreen webpage.
- Once AirScreen is installed, open it. If you are using the app for the first time, it displays a small tutorial pop-up window. Click on “How to use” if you want to view the tutorial, if not, select “Get started now”.
- In the menu, go to settings by clicking on the “gear icon”, then make sure that “AirPlay” is activated.
- Go back to the first menu, go to “Start”, then click on the “Start” icon.
- On your iPhone, swipe down to open the main settings icons and tap on “Screen Mirroring”.
- Find the name of your Fire TV, then tap it.
- Your device should now be mirrored to your TV via the Fire TV Stick.
How to Mirror a Mac to an Amazon Firestick
Unsurprisingly, iPhone and Mac share similar steps when connecting to a Fire TV device. AirScreen is still the primary app needed to stream on the Firestick. Follow the steps below to achieve this.
- If you haven’t already, download and install “Airscreen”.
- In the settings of your Fire TV, click on “Airplay” to activate it. You should have a tick in the box next to it.
- Switch to the “Help” menu.
- Choose the “macOS icon”.
- Then select “AirPlay”.
- Click on the “AirPlay icon” in your Mac Dock. If the icon is not there, you can enable it by going to “Settings (Apple menu icon) -> Display”, then choosing the “Arrangement” tab. Make sure “Mirror Displays” and “Show mirroring” are enabled.
- Choose the name of your Fire TV from your Mac’s AirPlay menu.
- Press “OK” on your Fire TV remote.
- Your screen should now be mirrored from your Macbook, Macbook Pro, or MacBook Air.
How to Mirror a Chromebook to an Amazon Firestick
Casting anything using a Chromebook is different from using other devices, whether Android, iOS, Mac, or PC. This scenario is caused by the Chromebook locking up on Chrome OS.
The Chromebook works without any additional apps or at least none that Google doesn’t endorse. This situation means that streaming to a Chromebook can only be done using a default HDMI cable. There are ways to work around this particular configuration, but it is not guaranteed to work.
A workaround would be to enable Chromebook’s Google Play Store.
Enable Google Play Store in Chromebook to Mirror to Fire TV
- Click on the “Quick Settings Panel” at the bottom right of your Chromebook screen.
- Click the “gear icon” to open “Settings”.
- Scroll down and activate the “Google Play Store” tab, then accept the terms of service.
- Now open the “Google Play Store”.
From there, you can search for casting apps to connect to your Firestick. Some of the most popular apps are AllCast, Cast TV, and Cast Videos. Download and install them on your Chromebook and follow the instructions for each app.
As already mentioned, the above methods are not surefire ways to stream to your Amazon Fire TV Stick. Different manufacturers have different device settings, and your particular Chromebook model may or may not support casting.
In conclusion, mirroring your screen to an Amazon Firestick will vary slightly depending on your device and the application used to do so, but ease of use is almost guaranteed.
Firestick Mirroring FAQ
Why is my mirrored stream to Firestick choppy?
Due to previous disagreements between Google and Amazon, the Chromecast and the Firestick operate on different casting protocols. This scenario means compatibility issues between Chrome and Firestick are occurring. If you get jerky streaming, it might just be because of this incompatibility.
You may also experience lag due to slow internet speed or lack of bandwidth. Check if other devices are using your internet connection. It could be an ISP issue, and you’re not the only one experiencing slow connection speeds.
My Fire TV Stick is not showing up. What is happening?
If you can’t see your Fire TV on your other device’s streaming choices, or vice versa, the two devices might not be sharing the same network. Your Fire TV and the device you want to stream from must have the same Wi-Fi name. Check the Wi-Fi settings of your Firestick and your gadget to make sure they are on the same home network.
What are some software applications to help with device mirroring?
As mentioned above, both PC and Android have Miracast enabled by default. This streaming protocol is usually the only thing you need to stream using these two devices. If you can’t get them to work, the Google apps listed above, namely “AllCast”, “Cast TV” and “Cast Videos”, may work for you.
For Apple iOS and macOS, the AirScreen app available in the Fire TV menu does mirroring quite well.