Your phone’s IMEI number helps identify your device among all active devices around the world. It helps the phone owner to easily find the lost phone because the phone’s unique ID cannot be duplicated. However, many Android phone users feel the need to change IMEI number on Android without root. This need may require users to find ways to know how to change IMEI number of Android phone. This article brings you the methods to learn how to change Android IMEI number without root in detail. So keep reading till the end to find out all about it!
How to Change IMEI Number on Android Without Root
International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) is a unique number assigned to all types of mobile phones worldwide. Additionally, GSM networks use these IMEI numbers to identify valid active mobile devices, and this helps in recovering lost phones. However, there can be several reasons why one would want to change the IMEI number on their phone. Some of the common reasons are listed below for better understanding:
- Lost or invalid IMEI number
- To create an IMEI number not found by changing it frequently
- To install the latest OS updates on an older version phone
- To take advantage of cheaper mobile plans on BlackBerry mobile phones
Now let’s see the methods to change IMEI number on Android without root.
Note: This method will not work on all unrooted Android devices. However, it can work fluently on all rooted Android devices.
1. First, dial one of the following numbers on your Android phone:
- *#*#3646633#*#* or
2. Tap the Connectivity option or the dial pad.
3.. Now tap on CDS Information.
4. Tap Radio Information.
5. If you have a dual SIM device, then you will see: IMEI_1 [SIM1] and IMEI_2 [SIM2]. Select the desired SIM option to change its IMEI number.
6. Tap one of the following desired codes to change the desired SIM IMEI number.
- AT+EGMR=1.7, “IMEI_1” (for SIM 1)
- “AT+EGMR=1.10,”IMEI_2” (for SIM 2)
7. Now replace IMEI_1 or IMEI_2 with the desired IMEI number for the desired SIM card and press SEND.
In this way, you have successfully changed the IMEI number of your Android phone without root.
Method 1: On MTK devices
This method will work on MTK devices. Some of the latest MTK Android phones are Redmi Note 11 Pro, OnePlus Nord 2, Samsung Galaxy A32, Samsung Galaxy A13, etc. Follow the steps below to learn how to change Android IMEI number without root on your MTK device.
1. Install and open the Mobileuncle MTK Tools app on your device.
2. Now tap on Engineer tab > Engineer Mode (MTK) option.
3. Scroll down and tap the CDS Information option.
4. Now tap on Radio Information.
5. Out of the Phone 1 and Phone 2 option, tap the Phone 2 option to continue. You will see an AT+ option.
6. Replace AT+ with AT+(Space)[Your new 15-digit IMEI number]. For example AT+ 627143749362537
7. Next, press SEND AT COMMAND to save the changed settings.
8. Restart your Android device.
9. Now dial *#06# in the phone dialer and see the newly set IMEI number here.
Method 2: On Android permanently
If you were somehow unable to change IMEI number on Android without root with the above method, follow the upcoming method to learn how to change IMEI number of Android phone permanently.
Note: This method will erase all your data from your Android device. So it is advised to backup all your data before performing this method.
1. Open the Settings app on your Android phone.
2. Tap About Phone.
3. Scroll down and tap Backup & reset.
4. Scroll all the way down and tap Factory data reset.
5. Now tap on Reset Phone.
6. Once the reset process is complete, you will be prompted with two options. Tap Create new Android ID (random) to permanently change the Android IMEI number.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. Can I see the IMEI number of my Android phone?
Answer: Yes, you can see the IMEI number(s) on your Android device. dial *#06# in your phone dialer to see the IMEI number. If your Android device is dual SIM, then you will see two almost identical but still different IMEI numbers. You may notice the difference between these two numbers in the last 2-3 digits.
Q2. Is changing a phone’s IMEI number illegal?
Ans: In some countries, such as the United States, efforts are being made to make changing IMEI numbers illegal, but the dedicated law has not yet entered into force. In the UK, if you have permission from the phone manufacturer to change the IMEI number of a specific mobile device, this is acceptable. So the laws and legality of changing IMEI is purely subjective from country to country.
We hope you understood the above methods to change IMEI number on Android without root and managed to do the same. Mention any questions or suggestions for us in the comments section below.